How To Cook Juicy Turkey
All you need to know about: How To Cook Juicy Turkey.
1 (12- to 14-pound) turkey
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey cavity and discard. Rinse the turkey inside and out with cold water. Pat the turkey dry with paper towels.
3. In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Rub the mixture all over the turkey, inside and out.
4. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush the turkey with the melted butter. Pour the chicken broth into the bottom of the pan.
5. Roast the turkey for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and continue roasting for an additional 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°F.
6. Remove the turkey from the oven and tent with aluminum foil. Let the turkey rest for 20 minutes before carving.
1. To keep the turkey moist, baste it every 30 minutes during roasting.
2. To get a crisp skin, brush the turkey with butter every 30 minutes during roasting.
3. To make sure the inside of the turkey is cooked through, use an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature of the thickest part of the thigh.