How To Cook Red Beans And Rice
All you need to know about: How To Cook Red Beans And Rice.
1 lb. dried red beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups long-grain white rice
1 teaspoon salt
1. Soak the beans: Place the beans in a large bowl, cover them with several inches of cold water, and let them sit for at least 8 hours, but preferably overnight.
2. Drain and rinse the beans: Drain the beans in a colander and rinse them with cold water.
3. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
4. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and spices and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Add the drained beans and broth, stir to combine, and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the rice, stir to combine, and cook, covered, for an additional 20 minutes.
8. Remove from heat, stir in the salt, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.