How To Cook Tamales
All you need to know about: How To Cook Tamales.
2 cups masa harina
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup lard or vegetable shortening
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups of your favorite filling (cooked shredded chicken, beef, pork, beans, or cheese)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
10-12 dried corn husks
1. Soak the corn husks in warm water for 30 minutes to 1 hour. This will make them pliable so they are easy to work with.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the masa harina, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the stock, lard, onion, garlic powder, cilantro, tomatoes, cumin, and your favorite filling.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until everything is well combined.
5. To assemble the tamales, lay a corn husk flat on a work surface and spread a few tablespoons of the masa mixture in the center of the husk.
6. Place 1-2 tablespoons of the filling in the center of the masa mixture.
7. Fold the sides of the corn husk up and around the filling, then fold the bottom of the husk up and over the top.
8. Place the tamales in a steamer basket or colander and steam for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the masa is cooked through.
9. Serve hot with your favorite salsa or topping. Enjoy!