How To Cook Ham Hocks
All you need to know about: How To Cook Ham Hocks.
– 2 ham hocks
– 2 quarts of water
– 2 tablespoons of salt
– 1 teaspoon of pepper
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 onion, halved
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– Optional: other seasonings to taste
1. Place the ham hocks in a large stock pot.
2. Pour the water over the hocks and add the salt, pepper, bay leaves, onion and garlic.
3. Bring the pot to a boil and reduce the heat to a low simmer.
4. Cover the pot with a lid and cook the hocks for 2-3 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
5. Check the hocks every 45 minutes while they cook and add additional water if needed.
6. When the hocks are done, remove them from the pot and allow them to cool before handling.
7. Once cooled, shred the meat with a fork and discard any fat or gristle.
8. Store the shredded meat in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
9. Use the shredded ham hocks in your favorite soup, stew, or casserole recipes.
– To add additional flavor to the hocks, consider adding other herbs and spices to the cooking liquid such as thyme, oregano, rosemary, or sage.
– The cooking liquid can also be used as a flavorful broth for soups and stews.
– If you want to add a smoky flavor to the hocks, you can smoke them in a smoker for 1-2 hours before cooking.